Tuesday, October 5, 2010

American Idol unwilling to save eliminated Lacey

...and after a little blah blah blah she went home


I liked the idea of the American Idol judges saving an eliminated contestant last year, especially when they save Matt Giraud. This year, I either really like the contestants, or really cannot wait until they go. I only see a few contestants worthy of the save this season.


On the results show last night, American Idol ran the tapes of the contestants' first auditions. This was the first results show since choosing the top 12, and American Idol treated fans to a show that almost felt like a finale.


After wasting more time on the antics of Ryan and Simon pretending to dislike each other, and noticing the obvious lack of green worn by anyone last night, David Cook took the stage and livened up the place.


In my opinion, the best American Idol contestant to win the title thus far, David Cook's success and platinum records have not changed the man we first saw back in season 7. He is what I call an American Idol.


There was a lot of time spent on the judges again last night. Dispersed between Ryan reading the judges' comments from the previous night, was live commentary from the judges explaining their views, changing some of their opinions, and showing off with more face time than they deserve.


As Simon explained the process of the judges' ability to save a contestant otherwise going home, I wondered who came up with that idea. It seems to go against what the premise of the competition is all about, and how fans are supposed to be in charge of who stays and who goes. I have been vocal about the conspiracy theorists' claims that fans do not have full control of the voting process. I began believing it during American Idol's third season.


Then they go and blow a hole in the theory by refusing to save the one contestant I thought should have gone weeks ago. That girl is Lacey Brown. I rated her performance with a D on Tuesday night, but the judges disagreed with me. From what I am reading on forums and messages boards, fans like her too. She is very pretty and I like the way she dresses, but I do not think she has enough talent to remain.


I thought Paige performed well the other night, and was surprised to hear Ryan announce Paige as the first contestant to be in the bottom 3 last night. Paige performed better Tuesday night, than she has in previous weeks, but was in danger of going home last night.


Tim Urban was the second contestant in the bottom three, and although I did not care for that performance and thought that it was only an okay performance, I still believe he fared better than a few of the other male contestants. I also thought his teen idol looks would keep the young female voters rooting for him a while longer. After revealing that Lacey Brown would join Tim and Paige in the bottom 3, I thought for sure that Tim would be going home.


Before revealing the contestants with the least amount of votes, Ke$ha, no that is not typo, that is how the name is spelled, took the stage. I understand the popularity of Lady Gaga, because even though her style and dress are way, way, "out there", the girl has a voice. This Ke$ha character, unfortunately does not, and is even more bizarre than Lady Gaga is. Her song, Blah, Blah, Blah would be an appropriate name for the song because I think it gave viewers a chance to grab a snack before Ryan announced who would go home.


However, a better title for that mess last night is Bad, Bad, Bad, or Tasteless X 3, after donning a Native American headdress. If Ke$ha were actually of Native American descent, it might not have gone downhill for her, but she is Australian, so I do not know what to think, except to say that it would be a good idea for American Idol not to invite her back again.


I already thought it was a little strange for no one on the American Idol stage to have green on, except for the light green in Siobhan's pants. Add that to the Blah person insulting Native Americans, and I think that in the future American Idol producers should screen their guest performers better. I mean, even President Obama wore green yesterday, and Jewish people even get in on the fun on St. Patrick's Day. It looked like American Idol deliberately avoided wearing green to avoid swaying Irish voters.


Hey, I have heard more absurd theories about this show, than that one.


Finally reaching the point of the seemingly longer than one hour results show, Ryan told Tim and Paige they were safe, and announced fans voted to eliminate Lacey Brown.


The judges whispered and it appeared they were actually discussing Lacey's fate, and surprisingly enough came back with the decision to send her home.


Besides the weird performance by one of the guest singers, the only other dramatic portion of the show for me last night was the absence of Andrew Garcia in the bottom 3. This guy has more lives than a cat, apparently. I hope he improved in future episodes of American Idol, because he is not living up to what is supposed to be the talent of the top 12 finalists on American Idol.

No comments: